Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Introducing Dorothy Jane

Jane Austen, journaling, art, scrapbooking supplies, literary adventures and vintage beauty - all in one place? (What could be better?)

Introducing.....
  

...a delightful shop full of whimsy and literature. I positively cannot get over how much I adore the style of the items - just the right mixture of shabby chic and romantic elegance. 


I had the opportunity to ask a few questions to Dorothy about what goes on 'behind the scenes' in this delightful space on Etsy... 



- How did you get started with your crafting/artwork/shop?


"I have been making things for a very long time. I was a theatre major in college and loved making period costumes. I think some of my millinery work with flowers led me to love anything pink and pretty. I made band boxes and ribbon rose pins many years ago for craft shows. I also made collages from paper and ephemera but switched to digital when I discovered Photoshop."
- What is your favorite Jane Austen book? (and why?)

"Picking my favorite Jane Austen book is hard. I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was 15, and then did not read Sense and Sensibility until I was in my 20's. For years, S&S was my favorite, but I think Emma is now my favorite. It has the most diverse characters and true lessons about how humans should treat one another. I love how Emma has to learn humility."


- What inspires the items in your shop?

"I am inspired by beautiful things. I love anything historical and old. I collect 19th century fashion plates and use many of them in my work. The colors are subtle since they are hand painted and I love the detail in the pretty ladies' faces."


- What are your favorite hobbies?

"I am a reader. I also write a little and have had some stories published. I do a little bit of everything ... knitting, gardening, baking. Right now, my Etsy shop is taking all of my free time, but I love it!"
 
..................................................
 

Lovely little tags!
  
 Mm. I have to say that my favorite items in the shop are always the journals....
Art journals - all you'd need for an instant gorgeous memory/scrapbook 
would be a few good photos, and a few handwritten notes....
I can just see several of these being a perfect way to keep memories of reenactments and dances!

You can click through to the Dorothy Jane shop from the button on the right sidebar, or through any of the pictures and links in this post. I would love to know what your favorite items are!


3 comments:

Cupcake Fanny said...

Hello!!!!
My name is fanny, I´m a Mexican girl, and I accidentally found your super blog!
I found in my house a shortbread stone with flokart desings on it, so I wanted to know how can I use it becuase my mom and I like to cook a lot! so I typed it on the google and I found your blog.
It is Amazing because I think we have many things in common (: I like to draw and paint, I´m studying fashion design, I sing in a Choir and I used to be a lolita, the japanese fashion inspired in the rococo and victorian time! It´s nice to know that there´s people in the world that likes the same things than me!
I hope you read this and take the time to read it an if you want here´s my blog:
http://cupcakefanny.blogspot.mx/
I also have facebook (:

fanny

Atlanta said...

Hello, Fanny! It's nice to "meet" you! Welcome!

Hana - Marmota said...

My favourite Jane Austen book is probably Northanger Abbey, although I have not read all of them yet. Emma and Persuasion elude me as books, though I've seen the recent Emma miniseries, and though I have read Mansfield Park, I can't for the life of me remember most of it... Northanger Abbey is fun, and I like both the heroine and the hero a lot, which does not always happen. In fact, Henry is my favourite Austenian hero. I think I have a soft spot for ministers (though that does not include Mr Collins :D). There is an inordinate amount of ministers among my own characters...

Those are some lovely things in the shop; though some are a bit too "frilly" for my simple tastes. My favourite are probably the bookmarks. You can never have too many bookmarks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails