Thursday, August 16, 2012

1940s Housecoat


Every since I have been collecting and using vintage patterns (about 2 years), this has been one of my very favorites, and one that has been high on my much neglected personal sewing to-do list;
"1949 McCall's 7635 Ladies and Misses Negligee"

This spring I finally got around to making it, and it went to gether quite simply and easily - wished I'd done it before!
I don't really know whether to call it a houscoat, robe, or wrapper.....


Mine didn't turn out nearly as glamorous as the pattern picture, but then I didn't expect it to! :) And I don't wear high heels around the house either. lol.
However - my '40s wrapper' is the most comfortable and handy thing ever! I love it. The fabric is a lightweight and cool rayon challis in candy pink print. I did make a few changes to the pattern - hemmed it shorter, added a pocket, and instead of having the tie belt as a separate piece, I stitched it to the back (knew I would end up losing it otherwise!) The bodice is fitted with tucks, and the ruffled 'cape' piece also forms the loose sleeves.


It's so handy to have something easy and comfortable to wear over pj's, or when getting ready for a party or dance (on those rare occasions! :). I love my 1860s wrapper at reenactments, I don't know why it took so long for me to realize that I needed one for everyday!

As you notice, my hair is newly pin-curled in these pictures. I was getting ready for a 40's photoshoot with my newest dress, which you will be seeing soon...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails