Friday, March 23, 2012

Gold Lame Ballgown

Slowly I'm getting caught up on the custom orders that I still have left to finish (before I can begin working on my ready-made stock for the shop...)

The latest one was this: a gold lame ballgown in 1860s style. Originally inspired by the Phantom of the Opera dress made last year. This dress is now on it's merry way across the ocean to Germany....

Fitted, boned, bodice with puffed sleeves. Separate full gathered skirt.

The client requested a slight train in the back.

I've never done eyelets with metallic thread before.
 That was quite interesting - but it did cooperate surprisingly well!

I had never worked with lame fabric before. I liked the end result, but was a bit frustrated during construction as you have to be so careful to use a cool iron or else it will melt, smooth, and shrink.....also you have to baby it when gathering to keep the raveling at bay until the seam is secured and covered.




I couldn't help but be reminded of Grace Kelly's gold lame gown
 for the masked ball in the movie 'To Catch a Theif'.

9 comments:

Kellie said...

Simply stunning, Atlanta!
Nothing screams the Golden Era's glamour to me like gold lame - and yes, the 'To Catch a Thief' gown, as well as the lame the Baroness wears in The 'Sound of Music' are the designs that come to mind... =)

I just love seeing your creations - I always come away inspired by your creativity and craftsmanship.
Thank you, dear!

--Kellie

Katrina - Edelweiss Patterns said...

Oh my goodness! That is glorious. Yes, lame sure is tricky to work with, isn't it? That gown is absolutely spectacular!

Happy sewing,

Katrina

Marian said...

Wow--that's utterly gorgeous!!

a Matula ikrek said...

Although the gold lame is a bit too shiny to me to wear a whole gown made of it, this dress just shows your patience and diligence. :o)

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Wow!! I can't imagine working with that kind of fabric, but I'm glad to hear it isn't super hard. I bet that your customer will be tickled pink! (or maybe gold?)

Thanks for sharing this with us! I loved getting to see it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Makes me think a simplistic version of Belle's ball gown! Absolutely beautiful!

theresa said...

I.love.that.dress!

Christy Cosmopolitan said...

Would you ever make another replica/request of it? It's a gorgeous dress!

Atlanta said...

Limpette,

I might. :) I'm not taking orders for women's dresses right now as I don't have a proper sewing space set up yet, but I hope to in future. If you would like to email me, we can talk. atlanta(@)bonnyblue.net

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails