Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Best Wal-Mart Ever??

     On Monday evening last week Jordan and I made a quick road trip to get baby's ultrasound. Afterwards it was quite late and dark, but we still had a few errands before we could head home. One of these was to procure some fabric I needed for a little historical dress order. Just a simple pink cotton print. I hoped that we could happen upon a Wal-Mart that had a fabric department,  since that might be all that was open at this late hour.
     So, we looked it up on our phone and found the nearest one and headed there. When we arrived it was less than promising. A very narrow, dark, and rather creepy parking lot first of all. Second, it was the the smallest and most run-down Wal-Mart I have ever seen. Third, when we against our better judgment walked inside, everything was....strange. All the items were odd old-looking brands we didn't recognize,  things were rather disorganized and dingy. So...feeling very doubtful I asked the first available person if they carried fabric. Pointed into the back corner of the store, we were in for a big surprise. 
 
 
     Would you believe it? Greeting our eyes was the biggest and brightest fabric department I think I have yet seen in a Wal-Mart. I very soon found exactly what I needed, then began to notice there were actually quite a few lovely and quite historical cotton prints. The prices were even lovlier. (Many were two dollars a yard) I ended up walking out with four extra lengths of fabric including a brown checked cotton gauze/voile. Imagine! Finding a suitable historical sheer fabric at Wallyworld? I think I might faint.

The moral of the story? I guess you really can't judge from outward appearances, hmm?
And now I have some new additons to the stash. Planning a couple of 1860s and 1820s pieces. Excited!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is true enough. Looks on the outside and only skin deep...

Love you

Blessings -

~ Aspen

Sarah said...

What pretty fabric! It does look very historical.

-Sarah

Unknown said...

Ooh! exciting! Just like that old saying "never judge a book by its cover"! ;)

xo,
rn
www.rachelnicoleblog.com

Loree said...

Wow a Walmart that still has a fabric department you are lucky.

Lily said...

Amazing!! Can't wait to see what you make with all of it! :-)

Unknown said...

now that I think about it...reading your description of the store...you may have entered one of those timeline worm holes right there in the fabric section and gone back to an 1860's dry goods store. it could happen.

Desarae said...

I giggled while reading this post! :) What a strange Wal-Mart, but how much fun for you! That selection and those prices...?...truly astonishing. I'm so glad you didn't faint. ;) I am looking forward to seeing what you make with those lovely fabrics!

Unknown said...

Oh my- WOW! lol I wish my walmart had material! Lucky you! :D (are you going to show one of your ultrasounds on here?!) lol I hope you guys are doing good!

Love,
Ruth

Hana - Marmota said...

I love Windy Shannon's comment. :D Even if you did not find a wormhole, you certainly found a local treasure! I imagine you will be coming back. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've found most of my favorite fabric at Walmart. They have a new "collection" (if Walmart has fabric collections) of quilting cottons right now and you're so right: most are perfect for 1840-1860! I just wish they had a better selection of buttons. Why are good buttons--especially metal shank buttons--so hard to find?!

Rebecca said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! That is so exciting.

Our walmart has a nice fabric selection too.

I tagged you in this Blogger Tag post- http://unusualmaidenbutterflydays.blogspot.com/2013/11/blogger-tag.html

Please check it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails